[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] hack around desync on OSS pause

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 29 02:07:09 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 01:32:43AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> 2007/4/29, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> > what do you think about attached patch? It fixes the massive desync that
> > happens esp. when doing lots of frame stepping with -ao oss.
> > It is a bit hackish though, and in difference to alsa it will still loose some
> > sound during pause and not play any sound while framestepping.
>
> I've always thought that the problem is that we actually close the
> device on pause, instead using the proper ctrl to actually pause it.

According to the documentation I saw there is no functionality to pause
in OSS, with some stupid argumentation from someone who probably never
actually used it for anything beyond his 50-line-my-own-music-player...

> But so many people insist on that behavior.... To the extend to
> request it for ao alsa too... (and my attempt to implement it properly
> was futile;)

As far as sync is concerned, I think my proposed patch is "proper". And
there are people who requested framestep not to make any noise even with
alsa, so it might even be "better" that the "correct" solution, but I'd
like to hear other opinions, esp. if someone sees a case where it breaks
things (e.g. I think it might cause you to miss one word when you pause
in the middle of someone speaking in a film).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger