[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 28 22:28:17 CEST 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:12:14 +0200
Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:

> This doesn't match my experiences.

Then you are an exception.

> In my experience there are many people for whom the OSS emulation does
> work worse or not at all, but native ALSA does work.

Not overhere. On my laptop i didnt get alsa working at all.
Even alsa-native programs were not able to produce any sound.
Well... strangely oss emulation worked.

> Can you give me bug numbers in the ALSA bug tracker [1] for the sound
> problems you have helped people with?

As i had back than even less understanding on how
alsa works, i asked on the ml for directions on
how to debug the problem back than.
Unfortunately i got zero reaction.

Experiancing that, would you tell someone who is not
very linux savvy to report a bug?

If this attitude has changed, i can try to make a
bugreport. But until proven otherwise i will advice
against changing the default -ao.

			Attila Kinali

--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann