[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 28 21:54:12 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 04:23:14PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> In Linux kernel 2.6, ALSA is the default sound system.
> It contains an in-kernel OSS emulation, but using ALSA directly is
> better.

No, it's much worse. On my laptop, sound is choppy with the ALSA crap,
but works fine with the ALSA drives as long as MPlayer uses the OSS
interface. ALSA is an idiotic, non-unixish, windows-inspired API that
should be ditched. MPlayer should never endorse it by making it
default.

As far as I'm concerned, patch is rejected.

Rich