[MPlayer-dev-eng] Font hinting in libass

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Apr 25 11:26:24 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 06:48:34AM +0200, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:34:44 +0400
> Evgeniy Stepanov <eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > I'm inclined to set FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING by default, because -vo gl, it
> > seems, is not that popular, and hinting does much more damage with
> > low resolution videos, than its absence does when rendering in screen
> > resolution. I could also add "ass-hinting" option with four integer
> > values: 0 - no hinting,
> > 1 - light autohinting,
> > 2 - normal autohinting,
> > 3 - native hinting.
>
> I'd prefer an option, or at least the possibility to set the hinting
> from within the VO, so vo_gl and vo_sdl can enable hinting.

I don't like binding this to the vo too much, mostly because recent
experiments convinced me that in some cases anything but light hinting
will simply look unbearably ugly (I think the configuration was OpenSuSE
10.1 with normal hinting set in KDE and console windows were most ugly).
Actually, no hinting was only bearably ugly ;-)

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger