[MPlayer-dev-eng] Font hinting in libass

Calvin Walton calvin.walton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 07:46:22 CEST 2007

On 4/21/07, Artur Zaprzala <zapartur at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I implemented TrueType support for MPlayer (subfont-c) a few
> years ago, I observed better results without hinting, so i left it
> disabled. The reason is that the glyphs when rendered are fitted
> (hinted) into video resolution and then scaled to screen resolution. I
> don't know how hinting would survive sinc interpolation, but scaling
> by video overlay makes it ugly.

I commonly use the gl video out driver, simply because it scales the
video before adding the text overlays - rendering the text at the
actual displayed resolution. As well, displaying e.g. 720p content on
an hdtv or 1280x768 laptop screen is done without any scaling, so a
hinted font would be desirable there as well (if the font has the
correct hinting information, of course)

--
Calvin Walton