[MPlayer-dev-eng] video filter layer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Apr 21 23:22:57 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 08:43:04AM -0400, kiriuja wrote:
> On Saturday 21 April 2007 02:27 Bobby Bingham wrote:
> > As part of that, I'd like to ask all the MPlayer developers about your
> > experiences with libmpcodecs.  What are some of the things you think it
> > handles better than the competition.  More importantly perhaps, what are
> > some of the areas where it could use work?  Are there any things that
> > just flat out can't be accomplished with it?  Or can't be done as easily
> > or effectively as they should?
>
> I'm not an MPlayer developer, but from what I know video filter insertion
> or removal on the fly is still not possible. From the point of view of a
> frontend like KPlayer this is the biggest limitation on the filtering side
> of MPlayer.

i think it should be possible to rebuild the whole filter chain (dont ask me
how exactly i would have to RTFS too ...)

and inserting/removing without complete rebuild is generally tricky anyway,
independant of the filter API

just think of changing image size, changing pixel format, changing
availability of slices, direct rendering, ... as the filter graph is changed

also what would happen with filters which use previous frames, the frames
they saw no longer match the new filter graph ...

so IMHO complete rebuild is ok for insert/remove, unless its easy to just
insert/remove a filter with the new API ...

and of course a generic conditional wraper filter which could feed frames
through another filter or let them pass unfilterd would be cute, something
like:

in--->generic_cond_filter--->out
          |         ^
          v         |
         foobar_filter

[...]

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf