[MPlayer-dev-eng] liba52 reorganization

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Sep 22 19:35:06 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:09:39AM -0700, Alex Izvorski wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 17:19 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 08:00:01AM -0700, Alex Izvorski wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to present a reorganization of the liba52 optimization patches
> > > from mplayer.  This is not quite finished but it is sufficient to show
> > > the idea.  It is a diff against liba52 version 0.7.4.  Hopefully a later
> > > version of this will be a candidate for upstream merging.
> >
> > First off, let me mention that I'm very happy that there is some effort
> > to get our patches merged upstream.
>
> Yes, as well as further development of liba52 ;)
>
> > What is the purpose of this patch?  Shouldn't you send this to the
> > liba52 development mailing list instead so they can review and apply it?
>
> I've sent it to the other liba52 developers as well, but since most of
> the authors of the new code only hang out here I thought they should
> have a chance to look it over and comment.  At this point I'd primarily
> like feedback, I have a little work left to do before this is completely
> ready.
>
> It would help if the mplayer developers indicate they would switch to
> this after it was merged, or maybe even switch to it first.  I don't
> want to cause any breakage, but that's probably a pretty good way to
> test out the changes ;) considering the active community here.

if you want this to be applied to mplayer then posting a patch relative to
whats currently in svn might help, reviewing a 142k patch is unlikely going
to happen
also note that files should be diffed against their counterparts in svn
no matter if the filename matches or not (i dunno if there are any such
cases) that way the patch would look similar to what would be generated
on svnlog with svn cp/mv which is smaller and easier to review
and if possible split the patch in independant selfcontained parts

[...]