[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: Re: Re: MPlayer + MatrixView

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 21 03:44:02 CEST 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 07:40:43AM +1000, Pigeon wrote:
> > > I made only some small changes, not touched the license,
> > > you should ask Pigeon for that,
> >
> > OK, if it's not your code you cannot relicense it.  You can ask the
> > author, though.
>
>     Same reason there. The license is in the original matrixview source
> code and I haven't touched it.
>
>     Mind you, I noticed there are other cases like this in the mplayer
> code (e.g. stream/stream_dvb.c) and it has the phrase "either version 2
> of the License, or (at your option) any later version".
>
>     Perhaps we could update it with the same thing? (Or we'll have to
> contact the original author for this license update?)

There's nothing wrong with some files being licensed under "v2 or
later" and others being "v2 only" or even MIT license or whatever
other GPL v2-compat license you like, as long as the combined work can
be distributed under at least one license (GPL v2). If we want to
include GPL v3-only code (once v3 exists) then it would be problematic
having "v2 only" code, but IMO v3 is not necessary or useful.

Rich