[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: dsputil_mmx.c: -O2

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Sep 18 02:32:19 CEST 2006

Hi Vladimir!

Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin <at> VM10124.spb.edu> writes:

> Only dsputil change matters? Have you investigated whether compiling
> the rest of mplayer with -O2 makes postprocessing faster?

Yes that's in "Compile options". But since only ffh264 showed real differences,
I searched for the reason: dsputil_mmx.c

Please don't forget that it makes decoding ~3% faster with gcc 4.0.x

> Because on
> modern systems, unless to go to 1080p hdtv, more time is spent on
> postprocessing than on decoding...

Since I can't watch the cars 1080 trailer without framedrops, I think every
change that improves decoding speed is worth investigating.

Carl Eugen