[MPlayer-dev-eng] deprecating bitmap font support

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 13 19:17:37 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:50:38PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le septidi 27 fructidor, an CCXIV, Rich Felker a écrit :
> > Pango is absolutely not an option as long as Pango depends on
> > nonportable GNOME crap (glib). Harfbuzz might be an option.
>
> You are mistaken: GLib is not part of Gnome, and is perfectly portable.

I'm quite aware that it's not "part of GNOME" in the sense that it
doesn't depend on other GNOME libs, but it's roughly the same people
and the same mentality (making C into C++ with inefficient data
structures for newb coders to enjoy).

And yes gmplayer uses glib indirectly through gtk, but gmplayer is
universally considered to suck and it's highly optional. Rendering
subtitles is hardly an optional feature, between both anime and
non-native-speakers of English wanting to watch American movies with
subs in their native language.

Rich