[MPlayer-dev-eng] deprecating bitmap font support

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 13 17:57:16 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 09:33:03AM +0200, Chris Roccati wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2006, at 21:54 , Luca Barbato wrote:
> >>Weird as it may sound, in the "real world", text rendering is
> >>quite os
> >>dependent.
> >freetype doesn't depend on anything but zlib. Do your homework better.
>
> I was not talking about freetype. I was talking about *text rendering*.
> Even linux itself has atleast two API for text rendering: the X11 api
> and FreeType.

You misunderstood what I wrote entirely. Linux does not have two apis.
Rather there is an X11 font system and using FreeType directly. Any
program that uses X11 font system (and same fonts) should look
identical regardless of OS. Any program that uses FreeType directly
should also look identical regardless of OS. Of course the two won't
look the same as each other. That's EXACTLY WHY I SAID IT'S WRONG for
MPlayer to use OS-specific (or vo-specific in this case) font
rendering rather than using FreeType directly.

Rich