[MPlayer-dev-eng] Accessing Mplayer Buffer

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 09:49:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/12/06, Hari Shreedharan <harishreedharan at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I need to access the Mplayer buffer so that i can directly input my own data
> in bit form,so that mplayer can play the data without the user being able to
> access the file directly.The bits would be directly be fed into the the
> buffer so that mplayer wold play it.Please help me on this!

just chop off the arms of the users, that should take care of your problem.

;-)

Now, seriously, what you are after isn't easy to implement, the
easiest thing that could work out of the box whould be to read the
file from a named pipe, having another process writing to this pipe at
the same time.

Other than that, I just suggest to read MPlayer's code (while drinking
lots of cola and/or coffee) and identify the spot where files are read
from the disk and maybe replace it with reading from a shared memory
mapped file.

Another process would have to feed the memory region, and you'd have
to add the thread sync shit to make it work.

This won't work with every files supported by MPlayer, typically
non-interleaved AVI probably won't work.

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!