[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Make -nortc the default?

Sun Sep 10 12:50:20 CEST 2006

Hi Corey Hickey!

 On 2006.09.09 at 19:29:32 -0700, Corey Hickey wrote next:

> I did just now. I played the serenity trailer, which my machine can
> actually handle. I watched free CPU usage.
>
> -rtc:   15% - 62% idle
> -nortc: 13% - 62% idle

I don't have serenity trailer.. Picked another file, just a regular
VIDEO:  [DX50]  576x432  24bpp  23.976 fps
Vorbis audio, with external subtitles,
vo=gl:yuv=2:lscale=1, vf = pp=ac/al:f,hqdn3d,noise=10uah:5uah

Free cpu usage is 48-62 with rtc and 57-65 without it during 1 minute of
playback.

> Still no noticable difference.

Either some other mplayer options matter or it's hardware or kernel
issue..

> Same for me.

Let's compare results for grep RTC:
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_RTC=y
# CONFIG_HPET_RTC_IRQ is not set
CONFIG_SENSORS_RTC8564=m
CONFIG_RTC_X1205_I2C=m
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_RTCTIMER_DEFAULT=y

also
CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_CFQ=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="cfq"

Maybe you are using noop/deadline/as scheduler?

> Well, you can set up a 64-bit chroot and eventually transfer over to it,
> leaving your old 32-bit installation as a 32-bit chroot. That's what I
> did, but it was more of a necessity back before there was an installer
> for Debian amd64.

True, but I don't like that style. I prefer to have both 32-bit and
64-bit libraries on the same root, 64-bit libraries in /lib64. It makes
compiling and using 32-bit application easier, also you have only one
system with one set of packages to update that way.

--

Vladimir