[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Make -nortc the default?

Sun Sep 10 01:30:12 CEST 2006

Hi Corey Hickey!

 On 2006.09.09 at 10:36:51 -0700, Corey Hickey wrote next:

> > Mplayer's cpu statistics doesn't include cpu wasted on rtc. Use top to
> > measure difference.
>
> Those apple h.264 files aren't very good for watching with top.
> MPlayer's CPU usage is so variable that it's hard to see subtle trends.

Well yes, but over 10% difference is visible even with top. It's like
60-73% usage becoming 45-65% (note - for all processes, not just
mplayer)

> Ok, I'm seeing a difference now. I tried playing a few less
> cpu-intensive videos and watched top. I see a difference now, but not
> that great a difference; only 2-4% of total CPU usage.

Strange..
Have you tried monitoring free cpu usage? I never actually monitored
mplayer usage, just (100% - free).

> >> I also tried with -v to make sure mplayer was using the requested timing
> >> sources. It was indeed.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way to test this?
> >>
> >> Athlon64 3400+ (a bit overclocked)
> >
> > I see big difference on similar cpu (A64 @ 2.6Ghz)
>
> Out of curiosity, are you using HPET for the RTC?

CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
CONFIG_HPET=y

It that good or what?

> $ grep HPET /path/to/your/kernel/.config
>
> > ..though I have 32-bit system and 2.6.16.
>
> If you want better performance, build a 64-bit mplayer. I haven't
> benchmarked recently, but I do remember seeing a substantial performance
> advantage; somewhat more of a difference than the RTC usage makes now.

Building won't help unless I have 64-bit libraries and kernel which
operates in 64-bit mode ;)

I love mplayer, but I don't want to break my system just for the sake of
better performance. My current desktop linux was installed in 1999 (it
was rh 6.0) and only updated since (it's fc4-based with fc5 desktop
packages right now). I can't update to get 64-bit system, I need to
reinstall everything, and that's too much for me. So I guess, no 64-bit
system for me for a few more years.. *sigh*

--

Vladimir