[MPlayer-dev-eng] [REQUEST] integrate libnms (from NeMeSI) into the stream layer?

Gamester17 gamester17 at xboxmediacenter.com
Tue Sep 5 12:40:04 CEST 2006

Hi, I'm not a developer myself but  I like to make a request, a suggested
code addition to MPlayer.

I read that you recently introduced a new "stream" directory to the source
code structure to separate the streaming layer, and to that directory
freesdp and librtsp, etc. (based on what I understand the 'old' stream code
that MPlayer already used). Here I was wondering if anyone thinks it would
be a good idea to integrate the libnms library (from the NeMeS project) and
use its code for  RTSP, RTP/RTCP and SDP streaming?, ...or possible the
other way around and instead integrate all the MPlayer 'stream' code into
the NeMeS project and then use their libnms library for all streaming in
MPlayer 'as is', as that way it would be one less library that the MPlayer
developers would have to actively maintain, (and other projects could also
easier use that library in their multimedia players). By the way, libnms
does also support Creative Commons licensing meta-data for audio/video
streaming (via libCCstreaming which is part of libnms) which would be a new
feature to added to MPlayer with the help of this library.

For those who are not aware of the NeMeSI project, it is a RTSP and RTP/RTCP
streaming-client (licensed under the GPL) that allows user to enjoy playback
of multimedia files with low latency transport over IP-based networks, and
the libnms library (from the latest trunk in the SVN of the NeMeSI project)
is a RTSP, RTP/RTCP and SDP "Open Media Streaming Client Library" which is
specifically designed to "let you add multimedia streaming playback in your
applications in a quick and straightforward way". libnms (and NeMeSI) source
code does contain example code and there are partially doxygenized headers
(Doxygen code documentation), that hopefully can help programmers to get to
know the code quicker.

libnms does today not support Real Networks RDT (Real Data Transport
streaming-protocol), so I guess that realrtsp would have to be adopted from
MPlayer (and xine?) if you wanted to move MPlayer 'stream' code into the
NeMeS project. Neither I'm I sure if libnms/NeMeS support HTTP and UDP
streaming(?), or QuickTime(?).

Reference links:
http://streaming.polito.it/client/library
http://streaming.polito.it/client
http://streaming.polito.it/downloads/svn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_License
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

Anyway, what do you guys think?, ...any comments and/or volunteers?

PS! Maybe this should be a separate discussion, but what about also
integrating or adding libcurl (from the cURL project) to MPlayer in that new
"stream" layer structure?, libcurl can support streaming from many other
protocols, like; FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS (including SSL certificates), with
user+password authentication, proxies, cookies...  ...and that on just as
many platforms that MPlayer supports, more on http://curl.haxx.se

Best regards / Andreas (a.k.a. Gamester17)