[MPlayer-dev-eng] [REQUEST] integrate libnms (from NeMeSI) into the 'stream layer'?

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 5 16:46:02 CEST 2006

Andreas Setterlind wrote:
> Hi, I'm not a developer myself but  I like to make a request, a suggested code
> addition to MPlayer.
>
> I read that you recently introduced a new "stream" directory to the source
> code structure to separate the streaming layer, and to that directory freesdp
> and librtsp, etc. (based on what I understand the 'old' stream code that
> MPlayer already used). Here I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be a
> good idea to integrate the libnms library (from the NeMeSI project) and use its
> code for  RTSP, RTP/RTCP and SDP streaming?

The api is almost stable so no one is prevented to do this, I'll try
once I have enough time, if someone wants to beat me on it I'll be glad
nonetheless.

> For those who are not aware of the NeMeSI project, it is a RTSP and RTP/RTCP
> streaming-client (licensed under the GPL) that allows user to enjoy playback
> of multimedia files with low latency transport over IP-based networks, and the
> libnms library (from the latest trunk in the SVN of the NeMeSI project) is a
> RTSP, RTP/RTCP and SDP "Open Media Streaming Client Library" which is
> specifically designed to "let you add multimedia streaming playback in your
> applications in a quick and straightforward way". libnms (and NeMeSI) source
> code does contain example code and there are partially doxygenized headers
> (Doxygen code documentation), that hopefully can help programmers to get to
> know the code quicker.

That is the hope.

> libnms does today not support Real Networks RDT (Real Data Transport
> streaming-protocol), so I guess that realrtsp would have to be adopted from
> MPlayer (and xine?) if you wanted to move MPlayer 'stream' code into the NeMeSI
> project. Neither I'm I sure if libnms/NeMeS support HTTP and UDP streaming(?),
> or QuickTime(?).

nemesi/libnms just support rtp/rtsp as specified in standard documents
(rfcs).
libnms could use its rtp framers or let the application handle the rtp
framing, letting embedding it either simple or free of constraints.

> Anyway, what do you guys think?, ...any comments and/or volunteers?
>
> PS! Maybe this should be a separate discussion, but what about also
> integrating or adding libcurl (from the cURL project) to MPlayer in that new
> "stream" layer structure?, libcurl can support streaming from many other
> protocols, like; FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS (including SSL certificates), with
> user+password authentication, proxies, cookies...  ...and that on just as many
> platforms that MPlayer supports, more on http://curl.haxx.se

check if the current code doesn't support something more (like icy
http), and, yes, it should be a separate thread.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC