[MPlayer-dev-eng] Please, tell me if my program is illegal.

xarion xarion at orange.pl
Thu Oct 19 16:45:03 CEST 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:19:08 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> xarion wrote:

>>> And... do you plan to submit the patches for consideration...?

>>> Whether or not your program is legal depends, according to my
>>> understanding, almost entirely on two factors.
>>>
>>> One, the way in which you make both it and the open-source code
>>> on which it is based available. (Yes, you have to do both,
>>> unless you simply parse the output of an unmodified copy of a
>>> program whose source is available elsewhere.)
>>>
>>> Two, the way in which your program uses the open-source code on
>>> which it is based.
>>>
>>> We do not know enough about either of these things to give you
>>> more specifics than "read the GPL and make see how it applies".
>>> You have not explained how you plan to distribute your program,
>>> and you have not explained what your program does in
>>> interacting with MPlayer.
>>>
>>> I've probably misrepresented something here, but this is close
>>> enough.
>>>
>>> Also, I repeat: please do NOT top-post. I'm not going to be
>>> arsed to fix the quoting again this time - it's enough of an
>>> aggravation doing it at all.
>>>

>> Sorry about top-post.
>>

> Acknowledged. (Admittedly, point-by-point interleaved posting is
> even better, but at least bottom posting is an improvement.)7
>
>> My program is open source. User can find source code in directory
>> where he (she) install my program. I don't know whether I must
>> send the patched files to consideration because the changes are
>> only for Cygwin.
>>

> "Must", no, but it's only polite.
>

>> Even that I included patched files in my last post. I don't know
>> whether I must create new thread about my patches.
>>

> I honestly didn't notice that there even *was* an attachment to
> your previous post. I don't generally expect that a post as small
> as 10K will contain a non-plaintext attachment, and you didn't make
> any mention of having attached anything, so I didn't even look.
>
>> I explain everything about distribute of my program. I think that
>> You wasn't read my first post.  I will quote it:
>>

> Yes, I read your first post. Apparently I missed at least one point
> (because I could have sworn that you had *not* indicated that the
> modified MPlayer sources would be made available), but it still
> remains that your original post does not address the question of
> whether or not your own program requires your modifications in
> order to work at all - specifically whether or not it actually
> interacts directly (that is, on a source-code level) with your
> modified version of MPlayer, rather than calling it via -slave or
> the like, and whether or not it would work just as well with a
> completely unmodified version.
>
> If it does so interact - and I'm not entirely sure why else your
> program would *depend* on any modifications you might have made,
> even leaving aside the fact that all of the features you mention as
> having been added (except the "newer DirectX version") are present
> [...]

I have changed two files (get_path.c and vo_caca.c). I changed file
get_path.c because MPlayer tried to save configuration files in home
directory. This is good idea only if user have Cygwin installed. I have changed
the directory to "directory_with_MPlayer\MPlayer\*.*".

//	if ((homedir = getenv("MPLAYER_HOME")) != NULL)
//		config_dir = "";
//	else if ((homedir = getenv("HOME")) == NULL)
//#if defined(__MINGW32__)||defined(__CYGWIN__) /*hack to get fonts etc. loaded outside of cygwin environment*/
//	{
        int i,imax=0;
        char exedir[260];
        GetModuleFileNameA(NULL, exedir, 260);
        for(i=0; i< strlen(exedir);i++)if(exedir[i] =='\\'){exedir[i]='/';imax=i;}
        exedir[imax]='\0';
	    homedir = exedir;
//	}
//#else
//		return NULL;
//#endif

Changes in vo_caca.c are bigger. I must enter corrections in this file
because I can't compile with original vo_caca.c

I included both of the files to this message.