[MPlayer-dev-eng] Please, tell me if my program is illegal.

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Oct 19 12:03:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thursday 19 October 2006 07:29, xarion wrote:
> Sorry about top-post.
> My program is open source. User can find source code in directory where
> he (she) install my program. I don't know whether I must send the patched
> files to consideration because the changes are only for Cygwin.
> Even that I included patched files in my last post. I don't know whether
> I must create new thread about my patches.

Yes, please do. Make sure they are against current SVN and send them as a
plain text attachment. If that turns out to be very huge, I advise you to
split the patch up in separate confined patches that can be reviewed and
possibly applied separately.

> -         MPlayer (with patches)
> -         Some Cygwin and X11 files
> -         DHA drivrer
> -         Mplayer readme files

These are all available in sourceform elsewhere, except for your personal
patches. You can just have a pointer (URL) to the sources in your
documentation.

As for your patches to MPlayer, while they are still pending or perhaps are
rejected, you have to put those on your website (see below) too if you plan
on distributing a modified MPlayer binary (which you do).

> -         Win32 codecs files

I suggest you do not distribute them yourself due to copyright issues, but
put in the documentation of your Xarion player where people can download
them.

> -         Xarion Mplayer
> -         playlist creator (written by me).

This is what you wrote. Just put up the sources somewhere (see below).

> -         Some fonts (unfortunatelly I don't know authors of them)

Make sure you only include free fonts, like Bitstream Vera.

> -         source.zip file

You can distribute them separately from your binary distribution. Just be
sure they are available and it is clear where one can get them.

> If you want to see my program please enter to my FTP server:
> xarion.dyndns.org My speed connection isn't good. I'm looking for free
> server with better speed connection. Do you know something about it?

I suggest getting a free Berlios or Sourceforge account. You can store your
source code in CVS or Subversion and have source and binary releases
through their ftp-site and its mirrors. Read the documentation on their
site(s). Requesting an account takes 10-15 minutes of work plus one or two
days of waiting for them to process your request.

--Ivo