[MPlayer-dev-eng] Please, tell me if my program is illegal.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Oct 18 23:10:50 CEST 2006

Quoting fixed. Please don't top-post.

xarion wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:54:35 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:25:17 +0200 xarion <xarion at poczta.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm author of a program, that uses modified code of Mplayer
>>> (called Xarion Mplayer). My modifications are adding use of caca,
>>> aa, X11, GL, newer DirectX version, enca, xmms, some codecs and
>>> some bug patches for Mplayer code, so it was posible to compile
>>> Mplayer using Cygwin and use of differenet settings directory
>>> than home. All changed files are included in source.zip
>>> (directory with changed files for Mplayer-1.0pre8”, which is
>>> included in Xarion Mplayer instlalation directory).
>>
>> 1) Use your "Return" key once in a while. Lines should not be
>> longer than 60 characters.
>
> Sorry.
>
>> 2) It's MPlayer and not Mplayer.
>
> Sorry.
>
>> 3) What is legal and what not is defined by the GPL, you should
>> read it.
>
> I know it, but I still have doubts.

About what? Specifics help.

>> 4) If you have patches for MPlayer, don't hesitate to send them to
>> us. Please read DOCS/tech/patches.txt
>
> 4) "Xarion MPlayer" isn't a patch to MPlayer, but a frontend for
> Windows.

In your initial post you said "I'm author of a program, that uses
modified code of Mplayer". The modifications to MPlayer are the patches
he was talking about. (You even called them "patches" once in that same
post.)

If you need to make modifications to MPlayer for some reason, you should
consider submitting those modifications as patches back to the MPlayer
development tree.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.