[MPlayer-dev-eng] architecture of MPlayer

Chris Roccati roccati at pobox.com
Fri Oct 13 11:38:20 CEST 2006

On 13 Oct 2006, at 05:55 , tony li wrote:

> I am porting MPLAYER to Blackfin, but Blackfin is not ARM core and
> it is DSP
> core. Is it possible to port it successfully? What is target for
> DSP core?
> Can the architecture of MPLAYER be set to x86?

MPlayer is designed around a more or less "generic" C code which
should be relatively easy to adapt to any posix-like operating
system, plus a variable amount of architecture dependent optimized
code. Currently the architecture dependent code is for x86, PowerPC
and ARM. Depending on the toolchain you're using, the generic code
can be relatively easy to adapt, but the performance may range from
fair to completely unusable. You should start modifying "configure"
around the part which goes:

else # if test -z "$_target"
   system_name=`echo $_target | cut -d '-' -f 2`
   case "`echo $system_name | tr A-Z a-z`" in

and add your architecture, and eventually the extras needed by the
toolchain.