[MPlayer-dev-eng] New translation system

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Nov 30 19:10:26 CET 2006

Hello,
On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:37:20PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 17:50 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > i am too very strongly against string based "indices"
>
> Why? Your opinion doesn't have much weight if you don't have any
> arguments to support it. Using integer indices has practical drawbacks;

It may have much less weight, but it does have a weight. My main reason
is the "experience" that string handling in C almost always results in a
mess which should be avoided.
I somewhat prefer "you can't code it wrong" solutions, and Michaels idea
is quite similar to what I had in mind first...

> so far the only arguments expressed against string indices (not against
> gettext specifically, which certainly does have valid arguments both for
> and against) have been Rich's performance arguments which do not make
> any difference in reality.

Not really, he also mentions that it might make hard keeping the current
systems as a fallback, the problems of extracting the to-be-translated
strings, and (I think) that messages in the code means that 1) code will
be cluttered with overlong strings or 2) developers make the strings
extra-short and thus the messages hard to understand for users.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger