[MPlayer-dev-eng] New translation system

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Nov 30 16:13:40 CET 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:33:25 +0200
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> > Using strings as keys for looking up strings is idiotic and plain
> > wrong, both semantically and in terms of implementation sanity.
> > Indices are numbers not strings. We code in C not PHP.
>
> Completely baseless drivel.

No it's not. Use such bloat and known-to-be-slow systems
and you end up with bloatware like our current desktop systems.

You should strive to use a good performing design whenever
you do something. The only reason why a non-good system is
to be used, is because the good one is too complicated to
implement. But then you have most likely a big design
error in the surrounding system.

Indices have to be fast to look up. Which means it has to be
some form of integer. If you use a string, you'd need to do
hundreds of strcmp's.
Of course, you can use a hash over the index string, but then you
only hide the fact that you are using an integer as index.

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred