[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: localize with gettext (libintl)

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Thu Nov 30 03:14:50 CET 2006

    Hi, Rich Felker!

Sometime (on Thursday, November 30 at  1:55) I've received something...

>IMO it would be best to come up with a way to use nice tools with the
>catgets framework. Unlike gettext, catgets does not require LC_CTYPE
>for anything and has essentially zero overhead in time and memory. And
>it's already adapted to MPlayer's system of using preprocessor symbols
>for the message strings. With some nice scripts to simplify
>translation I think it could be just about idea. And we could provide
>a ~100-line fallback implementation for systems lacking catgets (which
>should be none anyway since catgets is part of SUSv3).

    It seems you know catgets framework very well. I want to hear if
there is a way to use catgets in manner of gettext (i.e. with human
readable text on the place of real messages). I don't like the idea to
use some numbers as index - in large project (as MPlayer, of course)
there is a big chance to get bloated with duplicate numbers. So I don't
like such idea, up to even I hate it. If some program will set up the
numbers automatically (by some hashes or something else from original
text) and these numbers are fixed with code changes and there is a
simple way to edit translations (as it is with .po files) then I'd like
to use catgets. Answer that question, please. I didn't find anything at
google and wikipedia.org has no articles about catgets, there is only
gettext there.

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.