[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-debug build broken

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Nov 23 20:21:31 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 00:50 +0600, voroshil at gmail.com wrote:
> When i try to use --enable-debug, MPlayer does not compile.
> make stops with asm related error in cabac.h

This is a known problem. --enable-debug removes -fomit-frame-pointer
from the compiler options, and without that option there aren't enough
free registers on x86 to compile the asm in cabac.h. The asm
optimizations would need to be disabled when compiling with
--enable-debug or h264.c would need to be compiled with
-fomit-frame-pointer even if --enable-debug was given. This problem has
existed for a while but I think no one has actively tried to do anything
about it so far. To work around it you can manually redo the failing
compiler invocation with -fomit-frame-pointer added to the options (at
least unless you want to debug h264 specifically).