[MPlayer-dev-eng] MSGTRs for mencoder.c, vd.c, libass

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 03:36:48 CET 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 04:32, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > Well, I didn't realize til a moment ago that it might need more
> > > discussion than about the msgtrs only.As Commn pointed out on IRC,
> > > there are plans to make libass a lib that would be usable outside
> > > mplayer. Stupid me, I knew about that but didn't think of it when I did
> > > the work on the messages. So, does it make sense to apply (or keep)
> > > these messages?Question is if libass will still be in MPlayer's
> > > repository, supporting mp_msg functionality. If the lib will be
> > > completely external, I assume that messages will only go to stderr in
> > > case of more or less fatal errors. That of course would mean losing a
> > > lot of informative messages.At the moment, I have no idea how to solve
> > > it, what is the best thing to do? Before any more effort is put into
> > > the mp_msg task it's necessary to clear some things up.
> > > Evgeniy, would be great if you could state your plans and ideas
> > > regarding this.
> >
> > There is an mplayer-independent version of libass available from
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/libass. It is produced by applying a
> > certain patch to libass/ directory from mplayer sources. The patch
> > redefines functions available from other parts of mplayer (blur, utf8
> > parsing and mp_msg) and removes mplayer includes (subreader.h and some
> > more).
>
> Why host this on sf?

I needed a place to put out a source tarball.
You suggest mplayerhq ? That would be much better :)

> > This way, keeping mp_msg is ok, but MSGTRs will make my life much harder.
> > I'd prefer to leave things as they are now.
>
> Why?  You can simply add those messages to your patch, can't you?

This way they would be duplicated, I'll have to constantly update the patch
with new/updated messages. Torinthiel's suggestion looks much better though.
If we collect mplayer includes in one file, patch will not be needed anymore,
and standalone version could be generated with a script. Then I can live with
MSGTRs. But I'm not a fan of the whole translation system.