[MPlayer-dev-eng] Adding MAE-Au1200- support to MPlayer

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Nov 8 08:42:14 CET 2006

Merhaba,

Please do not CC people on this list.

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:13:18 +0200
bora.sahin at ttnet.net.tr wrote:

> > It makes definitly sense, especialy if you are CPU limited.
>
> Yes, CPU(MIPS32) is limited. It has hardware mpeg decoding engine, which
> supports some codecs like mpeg2, mpeg4, div-x, wmv... It has video decoding
> capabilities but no hw audio decoding capability.

Audio decoding is cheap compared to video decoding.

> As far as I understood, the vendor supplied library roughly consist of two
> parts.
> 	- A kernel driver
> 	- MAI engine(framework): file reader, demuxer/decrypt, decoder, renderer
>
> The MAI components are connected by the multimedia engine in order to accept
> media from an input source through the necessary decoders and output it to an
> audio or video device.

Sounds like a standard framework.

> You suggest two methods. If I understand it correctly, the first method is
> more complex and will replace MAI engine. The second method would try to use
> MAI backend as is. In the light of above infos, is my understanding true?

Yes, replacing a decoder completely is more complicated
than just writing a new vo module. But it might be worth
the effort depending on what you want to acheive.
But it will not replace the MAI engine, it will make
use of it. Ie you pick out the modules of the MAI engine
what you need to feed the decoder and leave the rest
to mplayer/ffmpeg.

> > Something that you definitly also want to do is
> > to later optimize the data transfere to your
> > graphics card/video output device. This is together
> > with the CPU the biggest bottleneck.
>
> If I use the second method, is this needed? In the second method DMA is
> already used by both MAE hw engine and LCD controller?

It depends on how the data is transfered from the
decoder hardware to the display hardware.

BTW: as Nico already mentioned, if you intend to distribute
your code (ie sell it), then you should be aware of the
license issue.

				Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred