[MPlayer-dev-eng] error: can't find a register in class `GENERAL_REGS'...

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Nov 8 00:54:51 CET 2006

Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Trying to build mplayer with "--enable-debug", but always getting this error.
> Confirmed with gcc-3.3.6, 3.4.6, 4.1.1. I have also played with the "-O" option
> in CFLAGS in the corresponding place in ./configure, but with no effect
> (tried -O1,2,4 and without it).

Try adding -fomit-frame-pointer; it seems to be necessary on 32-bit x86
after some recent libavcodec modifications. The normal CFLAGS use that
option, but not the debugging ones.

To anyone listening:
Should -fomit-frame-pointer be added to the debugging CFLAGS as well?
The GCC manual says it makes debugging impossible on some machines, but
I don't know which ones. I suppose configure could add it conditionally
depending on CPU type, but I don't know for sure--I'm mostly just hoping
someone more knowledgeable than I in such matters can make a quick fix.

-Corey