[MPlayer-dev-eng] MSGTR for ao_alsa, aspect.c and vo_xv.c

mail at kraymer.de mail at kraymer.de
Tue Nov 7 13:32:58 CET 2006

> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:38:07 +0200
> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

>> > I agree. But while this is true, it effectively removes hardcoded
>> > strings from the source. I have no strong objection about leaving
>> > these two
>>
>> As long as MPlayer still uses a translation system which requires
>> moving strings away from the source to make them translatable removing
>> hardcoded strings has a cost. It's better to have the (English)
>> strings in the source where they can be seen while editing it. So with
>> the current translation system strings should not be made translatable
>> unless necessary.
>>

> Agree.
>
> I'd also suggest to leave internal errors ("this should never happen"
> or similar) untranslated in the source.

Couldn't that be managed by the message level? Everything from verbose
down to other debug messages isn't supposed to be translated anyway. If
someone get's a crash and executes with -v, the message will appear,
untranslated.This would also be a reasonable step to prevent confusion about what to
translate and what not.
Sebastian