[MPlayer-dev-eng] Improved remove-logo filter

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Nov 3 01:22:33 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 15:22 -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> And in order to be able
> to write one in asm, you need to be able to modify a non-copy of a
> memory location.

I already explained once that you can use the volatile keyword for
this...

Are you really seriously arguing that gcc should disable all
optimizations in a function if there's any asm? That it must not keep
variables in registers since original memory copy of the variable could
be changed from outside etc?

> Did you read the same thread I did?
>
> "=m"(x) : "0"(y)  isn't allowed, as a and b can't be in the same location.

I'm not sure exactly what you're arguing for in here and the rest of
your message, but I think it's not about the same thing as your original
disagreement with Michael.

Michael's original comment which you disagreed with said that if you do
use [out]"=m"(a):[in]"m"(a) then [out] and [in] could be the same memory
location or different ones, and [out] might overlap some other input
parameter. I don't see anything in your latest reply which would show
that gcc guarantees the opposite will always be true.