[MPlayer-dev-eng] The path to RC2

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Thu Nov 2 21:53:14 CET 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:03:17 +0100
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> Moin,
>
> According to our "release schedule" ( 20060506085930.01576587.attila at kinali.ch
> resp http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2006-May/042796.html )
> we wanted to release 1.0 this year. As we just released RC1 and because
> there are still some open issues, we will not be able to do so.

Agree.

> In order to speed things a little bit up, i would like to
> ask what you think is needed for RC2 and how we could
> achieve it. If possible, i'd like to have an RC2 by the end of
> the year, so that we could make RC3 or 1.0 in spring or early summer.

Agree with rc2 date if something important/big is committed or fixed,
else I think we can wait for the new year (doing it in December is less
than 2 months since rc1).

DVDnav was already planned to go into 1.0, so it should be there.
Now the question is how long are we willing to postpone 1.0 while
dvdnav is finished and tested.

Other features? Nothing, if we want 1.0 in a reasonable timeframe. We
should get whatever we can do until dvdnav is ready.

Do we want a fork after the (supposed) last rc, with only fixes going
in? Or are we going to do 1.0 from trunk?

Imo the main "problem" is not 1.0 itself, but what is coming after
it. Are we going to maintain it? How? How long? Who's going to do it? As
soon as trunk starts diverging from 1.0, backporting fixes will get
time consuming.

And we also should keep some big feature for post-1.0, to make users
(and hopefully distributions too) go back to svn version.

Ciao,
 Roberto