[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer SVN

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri May 26 22:16:08 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 09:27:47PM +0200, Roberto Togni wrote:

> What are we going to do with it? The options are to manually fix all
> repository hacks (renames, moves, ...) by hand, convert everything
> as-is, or anything in the middle.
>
> The latest rename i remember is linux->osdep, and that was at 0.90 time
> (Feb 2003).
> If you remember any recent renames please tell about them.

Off the top of my head:

TVout             --> TOOLS/TVout
help_mp*          --> help/help_mp*
DOCS/xx/mplayer.1 --> DOCS/man/xx/mplayer.1
DOCS/German/      --> DOCS/de/ (and similar for the other languages)

> Converting the FFmpeg repository took one week, MPlayer will take much
> longer (assuming somebody wants to do it).
> Honestly i don't think we should care about fixing everything,
> expecially 3 years or older stuff.

I started this, I'm willing to finish it.  Yes, the MPlayer repo is
bigger than FFmpeg and will thus take longer to process, but I'll be
able to avoid the mistakes I made on FFmpeg that forced me to make some
parts of the work several times.

I'll also have to note here that fixing renames is not everything that
makes the conversion tedious.  The CVS repositories have bugs like some
files wrongly checked in as binary (or vice versa).  They can end up as
garbage after the conversion or be undiffable.

I would find it refreshing if there were some volunteers to help me out
during the conversion.  Tasks like looking over logs and examining CVS
snapshots or mailing list archives surely are not terribly exciting, but
they scale very well.  If I had some helping hands there I could be much
much faster at finishing the conversion without sacrificing the quality
of the end result.

Unfortunately so far only Guillaume has offered a helping hand...

Diego