[MPlayer-dev-eng] to michael

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 26 19:30:38 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 06:13:12PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:07:32 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > > Teach those developers to use the ISP relay? Or setup a relay on
> > > mplayerhq?
> >
> > You will "teach" me to do no such thing. It's wrong.
>
> Though i didn't want to contribute to this bikeshed,
> a small side note here:

> Running a sending MTP server on a dynamic IP is wrong.
> Anyone doing this makes lives for the recieving MTAs
> more difficult.

I didn't know MTAs had lives. Anyway the address of the sender has
nothing to do with the burden placed on the admin of the recipient
MTA.

> I guess i don't have to mention that
> a recieving MTA should be never ever run on a dynamic
> IP (though we have a few of those shitheads on our lists).

No, running a poorly administered MTA with lots of downtime is wrong.
This has nothing to do with whether the IP is static or dynamic.
You're asserting an implication that does not exist based on a
statistical correlation and using that to assert that people are
somehow "wrong" for doing an activity correlated with the bad action
rather than for doing the bad action. This is the DEFINITION of
stereotyping and it's wrong in whatever context you do it in.

> If you don't have a fix IP for your MTA, please please
> use the one of your ISP or another one that has a fix IP.

No, keep doing what you're doing, and force the lame admins who want
to ban personally-run mail servers to fix their crap.

Rich