[MPlayer-dev-eng] to michael

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Thu May 25 14:57:57 CEST 2006

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> what know as "greylisting" (having to wait some time before you can send a
> message) seems like a much saner approach towards handling email from
> dynamic IPs.

In my experience, greylisting blocks about 80-85% of spams and about
90-92% of mail-spread viruses. The downside is, it also sometimes block
legitimate mail from completely f*ck*ed-up servers (try to guess the
company behind the software used in those server in *all* cases I've
encountered... well those that aren't in Debian default whitelist
anyway). You have to watch out for seemingly legit messages that didn't
retry ; at first it's a pain, but once you've whitelisted the
problematic servers you're usually dealing with (including notifying the
admins... almost never work), it's very efficient.

Of course it requires /work/ (gasp!) from the admin to reack peak
efficiency...

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>