[MPlayer-dev-eng] gmx unconditionally rejects valid mails due to SORBS (=i need new mail provider!)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu May 25 11:39:01 CEST 2006

Hi

as you probably noticed from the recent disscussion, mails from many
developers dont reach me anymore thanks to gmx & sorbs, sorbs only removes
people from their list if they pay, i have great doubt about the legality
of this system, it somehow reminds me of mafia methods, but then IMO
listing people (or IPs which are practically equivalent) probably is
already breaking european privacy laws, then again iam not a lawyer and
iam just guessing, i mean if i made a list of addresses of young good
looking girls id be in serious troubble in no time so why should
doing this with spammers and people who never send a spam but somehow
still end up on the list and people with dynamic ips be legal?

the second part of the problem of course is that gmx has no option
to turn this insanity off (ive already disabled all their antispam stuff)

so iam asking if someone could provide me a working pop3/smtp email or
for suggestions of a useable mail provider ...

my requirements are simple, nothing special
* working POP3 & SMTP (IMAP might be nice too but ive survived without it
  so this isnt really a factor ATM)
* secure (POP3 & SMTP over SSL)
* free (i wont pay for it and i wont accept advertisements appended to mails)
* not in SORBS list of coarse :)
* not doing any unconditional mail rejection based on random lists
* logging of connection IPs&time (i once asked gmx if anyone tried to
  access/hack my account and they told me they dont log anything but the
  single last IP)
* traffic will be mostly mailinglists with some rare once a month ~10-50mb
  file (and the spam/viriis everyone receives these days ...)
* limiting POP3/SMTP access to a a single IP is fine too (my IP is dynamic
  theoretical IIRC but it never changes ...)
* and the server should be dependable (not going to dissapear in a year
  or at least provide .forward after "dissapearing")

--
Michael