[MPlayer-dev-eng] to michael

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 25 03:36:05 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:39:47AM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> > > I never thought I'd write this: concerning this subject, you're an idiot,
> > > Rich. Please stop contributing to the FUD.
> >
> > you can believe the lies if you want or you can look at the facts.
>
> I *always* look at the facts.
>
> > this has nothing to do with fud.
>
> What you wrote about SORBS was nothing but lies and FUD.

FUD is a FUD-word used to discredit legitimate complaints when you
don't have a legitimate argument.

> > it has to do with my legitimate emails being blocked,
>
> And who's blocking them? Certainly NOT SORBS.

I don't care who "does" it. SORBS is the party responsible for the
insanity by promoting a service for "spam prevention" while in reality
this "service" results in denying legitimate users access to email.

SORBS is guilty of both libel and extortion. Libel for falsely
labelling people as spammers (this is blatently harmful to one's
reputation and causes actual monetary damage to small businesses and
individuals) and as "dynamic ip" (which also results in wrongful
denial of service).

As for extortion, requiring a $50 "donation" to remove yourself from a
being listed as a spammer (and the resulting damages due to your
network not being able to send to ISPs who have been tricked into
using SORBS) is blatent extortion.

> > why don't you study the issue rather than just believing what the
> > rabid anti-spam crowd tells you?
>
> I've been studying the spam issue probably longer than you. I have
> extensive experience in spamfighting and I don't have to believe anybody
> to know how things work.

This is why you have no legitimacy. The "spamfighting" crowd is a
bunch of overzealous idiots willing to throw the baby out with the
bathwater, i.e. willing to stomp all over everyone's liberties and
destroy the free nature of the internet for the sake of _trying_ (and
failing) to stop spammers.

There are exactly two ways to stop spam:

1. filter it.
2. send spammers to jail for life (or better, lynch them).

> > procmail and spamassassin stop spam.
>
> ROTFL.

Laugh all you want; it's true. Did you ever get spam thru the lists on
mphq1? No. Because Arpi's procmail and spamassassin setup sent it all
to /dev/null.

If this isn't enough for you, you're welcome to require anyone
emailing you to confirm their emails via a challenge-response system
and use a whitelist for known senders.

> > blacklisting innocent people does not.
>
> Blocklists do not list people. They list IP addresses (or domain names).

This is the most idiotic argument ever. It's like saying someone
publishing a "sex offenders list" isn't responsible for the horrible
things that happen to people on the list due to others reading it. And
these lists, just like the spam blacklists, have lots of mistakes with
catastrophic consequences.

Rich