[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure framework

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu May 11 15:10:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

In the "split configure"-thread I mentioned I was working on an autoconf
replacement configure framework that could also be used for mplayer. I
often re-used parts of mplayer's configure for other projects and got fed
up with not having a modular setup. If I changed/improved something in one
of my configure scripts, I had to check all other scripts if the same
change had to be made there, which was very annoying. So, I decided to
write this framework, in which tests can easily be loaded and executed and
the output is consistent. Projects that don't need all the tests can simply
omit them from their sourcetree.

The attached tarball does not contain a drop-in replacement for the current
configure script. It is work in progress, so keep in mind that a lot of
stuff is still missing. But the basic framework is mostly done. It is
modular, portable and allows for very simple configure scripts.

To test:

* check out a fresh mplayer sourcetree.
* unpack the attached tarball in main
* run ./configure.mplayer --help
* and/or ./configure.mplayer

The (optional) Makefile-generated Makefile.test contains only a few targets.
You can see what happens by typing:

make -f Makefile.test depend
make -f Makefile.test

It only builds libinput and libaf and the linking of mplayer will fail
because most stuff is missing, but you'll get the point.

I'll leave it at this for now and answer questions/flames later in this
thread :-)

Comments?

--Ivo