[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] de-autoconf configure

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 11 03:00:53 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:09:52AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:04:15PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > Bullcrap.  So far:
> > >
> > > positive:  Diego, Ivo, Luca
> > > negative:  Ivan, Dominik, Wanderer
> > > neutral:   Attila
> > > undecided: Roberto
> >
> > I'll add myself as against it. Making output 'different for the sake
> > of being different' is at worst confusing to users and at best a waste
> > of time. An autoconf replacement is probably the most useful if it
> > looks mostly/entirely the same to users (who are already used to
> > autoconf) but works much better inside.
>
> No, that cannot work because the semantics are _fundamentally_
> different.

Can you explain the fundamental difference to me? I only know two
major differences:
- unknown options are errors
- enable means force (which usually doesn't even work)

I don't see these as fundamental and I don't see how they cause
significant problems.

> burnt.  There is no good way to tell at a glance (without reading the
> source) that it's a different thing.

Reading the README?

> > And I agree with Ivan that there are a lot more important things (like
> > cvs->svn) to finish!
>
> This has nothing to do with cvs->svn.  I made this in a few spare mins I
> had at some point weeks ago and just now sent it here.  cvs->svn is a
> process for which I need to find a long stretch of uninterrupted time.
> Unfortunately this is hard to come by at the moment.

I agree. Also I want cvs->svn done _right_, not quick-and-dirty.
However my point was that this configure thing, which was supposed to
be a small issue finished in a few minutes, has grown into something
much bigger and it's wasting time.

Rich