[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] de-autoconf configure

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Wed May 10 11:29:51 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 09:43, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Hey,
>
> people always think we have an autoconfigure script.  Who's to blame
> them, the output looks just too similar.  Since FFmpeg has never
> suffered from this problem I thought we might as well give in and fix
> what I would call a usability problem.  I made a preliminary patch.
>
> Comments?

Judging by the comments so far, I am one of the few that actually likes
this. Maybe not exactly this specific patch, but I support the idea of
having the output being clearly distinct from autoconf configures.

Roberto made a joke about a skinnable configure script, but that's actually
not a totally silly idea imho. I don't mean having configure skins
installed in the system, that would be a joke, but configure could decide
on how to display its output depending on the $TERM capabilities. For
example, on a dumb terminal, it just outputs lines of text, some spaces,
the result and a newline, but on a vt100 capable terminal, it could use
colors, like green for success, red for failure, et cetera.

The next step could be an (x)menuconfig like approach (linux kernel) ;-))

--Ivo