[MPlayer-dev-eng] helix codecs

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue May 9 14:58:10 CEST 2006

* Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> schrieb:

<snip>

> > Why should we *distribute* helix codecs w/ mplayer ?
> > We just wanna use already installed one codecs, just like any
> > other library ...
>
> A binary with helix libs named in the elf headers is linked to helix
> and cannot be distributed under the GPL.

The ELF headers only mention library names, so ld.so can find out
which library filenames to look for. It does not say anything about,
where the actual code of this library comes from - it's just a name.
No one can claim a library name for his own, as well as no one can
claim function names or entry point positions.

cu
--
"*Who am I*? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie
  Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going