[MPlayer-dev-eng] helix codecs

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Mon May 8 12:43:28 CEST 2006

* Greg Wright <gwright at real.com> schrieb:

Hi,

> Helix includes all sorts of codecs:
>
>    https://datatype.helixcommunity.org/
>
> Some of which (like RA/RV) are shipped as pre-compiled libs that
> you link against. You can get the source code for those pieces as
> well if you want. We are also working on adding Windows Media
> codecs.

Could we include them directly ? Seems much better to me than the
crap with binary drivers.

> >Well, I personally didn't get it compiled, neither the realplayer.
> >It obviously has several codecs (at least in the binary ;-)),
> >since I can watch some streams (ie. BR Alpha Centauri), but its
> >quite strange that I dont get sound ... (esd problem ?)
>
> there may be a problem with ESound. It really doesn't provide a
> robust framework for A/V (lack of synchronization information)
> but does OK with just audio.

Well, the sync problem also exists w/ mplayer, but there we can
adjust it manually. Not fine, but at least usable. Both realplay
and helix are not able to make any sound.

I also tried to go around helix' native esound driver by putting
it to oss and using esound's oss emulation (/dev/dsp capturing)

Okay, I'll have a direct try on the machine w/ the soundcard.
I'll have to install the whole X11 library stuff and realplay there.

BTW: realplay makes trouble w/ flash'ed content. For example the
video streaming of the german tv show "hart aber fair"
(http://www.hartaberfair.de) is unusable. A while ago, it already
worked w/ some older realplay. (I didn't check 'em egain yet)

> For that reason, we (Helix) don't put too much effort into it any more.

Well, would be nice, if it would work *somehow*, even if its
not very good.

> We support OSS, ALSA and USound.

Ah, usound looks interesting. I'll have a try with it.

BTW: is there any general purpose audio output library, which
we could use for many packages, so not everyone has to implement
evrything by its own ?

I already tried to found such a project quite some time ago, but it
didn't seem to be much interest in it, ie. here @ mplayer-dev :((

cu
--
"*Who am I*? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie
  Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going