[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sigma Designs EM8400 - NOVIRUS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 5 17:25:25 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 06:43:19PM +0800, Ho Ming Shun wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
> >binary only means incompatible with the GPL, afaik, but I'm not very
> >expert in licenses,
> >thus you should first verify this presumed incompatibility
>
> Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. But, again, I think this is akin to
> be OK, right?

No, it's totally different. It's a matter of who does it (which
copyright holder). Personally I'm against the win32 binary linking
too. I won't enforce GPL against that since the original authors of
MPlayer wanted it, but I _will_ enforce GPL against any linking of
other proprietary code with MPlayer, especially if it's used
commercially.

I would recommend reverse engineering the library and making a
GPL-compatible replacement to use in your project.

Rich