[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sigma Designs EM8400 - NOVIRUS

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Fri May 5 12:43:52 CEST 2006

Ho Ming Shun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in adding support for the Em8400 chip to mplayer.
> Currently Linux support from Sigma consists of:
>
> - Kernel driver with source
>       - mmaps the card's PCI PIO region to userspace
>       - allocates and mmap to userspace some DMA buffers
>       - acknowledges hardware interrupt and translates it into a
> SIGUSR1 to the process opening the device
> - libEM84xx.so - binary-only x86 lib.

binary only means incompatible with the GPL, afaik, but I'm not very
expert in licenses,
thus you should first verify this presumed incompatibility

>       - able to directly play DVDs (apparently the excuse given to
> close-source this lib)
>       - play system/transport streams
>       - OSD rendering (not through VGA overlay, directly to the
> RCA/S-Video output)
>       - play PES packets
> - sample code to use the abovementioned to play videos
>       - no rewind/fast forward :(
>
> I've taken the first steps of porting the linux-2.4 driver to
> linux-2.6. The sample player seems to work without problems.
>
> Then I took a close look at vo_dxr[23].c and ao_dxr2.c , and I guess I
> can base my driver on them. Would this vo+ao be considered for
> inclusion into mplayer? Anyone else working on or have attempted to
> work on this?

if properly implemented and if there are no license issues yes, but be
aware that there
are already [va]o_mpegpes, so in case you may hook at them.

   Nico

 Sponsor:
 Hai trovato casa? Qui puoi trovare chi soddisfa le tue esigenze per il mutuo!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=4195&d=5-5