[MPlayer-dev-eng] .developer cruft

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:09:22 CEST 2006

2006/3/31, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:30:09AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > does anyone reject to:
> > >
> > > - removing support for .developer
> > > - fixing dependencies so that version.h is handled correctly.
> > > - moving the old .libdeps hack i added out of etc and making it part
> > >   of the default makefile for automatic subdir dependency handling.
> > > - removing the dependency on configure that forces rebuild whenever
> > >   configure has changed (it's wrong anyway since configure needs to be
> > >   rerun first).
> >
> > I have had excising all of these hacks from the build system on the ToDo
> > for ages.  I'll be most happy if you beat me to it.  Does anybody
> > understand the sideeffects anyway?
> >
> > While we're at it, why is .libdeps needed at all?
>
> It's just a set of rules to make the main makefile recurse into
> subdirectories if any files in the subdirs have changed.
> Unconditionally recursing into them is also possible but would make
> performance extremely bad in the common case where nothing has
> changed.
>
> Of course I'd be happiest if we could eliminate recursive make
> altogether...
> http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

I don't object the changes, but I would make an request.

I would like a mode that doesn't build dependences. I usually compile
from copied clean source and building dependeceys is taking same time
as the compiling itself (thanks to ccache).
This mode is also know in autoconf land as "speed-up one time build"

Anyway, fix the dependeces first :)