[MPlayer-dev-eng] .developer cruft

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Mar 31 09:30:09 CEST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:05:40PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> i've been trying to clean up old/broken/etc. cruft in mplayer code an

I have made a list of candidates for speedy deletion ages ago, shall I
dig it out while we're at it? :)

> i realized the hated build system where everything gets rebuilt unless
> you touch .developer is still in place. as much as coreteam liked
> forcing users to perform such favors on them, i think it's time we
> remove the need for users to 'touch .developer' in order to have sane
> build dependencies.

lol

> does anyone reject to:
>
> - removing support for .developer
> - fixing dependencies so that version.h is handled correctly.
> - moving the old .libdeps hack i added out of etc and making it part
>   of the default makefile for automatic subdir dependency handling.
> - removing the dependency on configure that forces rebuild whenever
>   configure has changed (it's wrong anyway since configure needs to be
>   rerun first).

I have had excising all of these hacks from the build system on the ToDo
for ages.  I'll be most happy if you beat me to it.  Does anybody
understand the sideeffects anyway?

While we're at it, why is .libdeps needed at all?

Diego