[MPlayer-dev-eng] Debian build fails with new Makefiles

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Mar 28 21:19:41 CEST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:06:59 +0200
joerg at britannica.bec.de wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:41:07AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > Actualy no. /sbin/ is normaly not in the PATH of a normal
> > user. And IMHO we shouldnt call ldconfig at all.
> > For example, i install all my self compiled stuff via stow.
> > Running ldconfig just lets me wait for 10-20s for absolutely
> > nothing as the vidix stuff is not even installed where ldconfig
> > could find it and i have to run ldconfig after finishing the
> > installation process anyways.
>
> Full heartedly agreed. ldconfig is a relict from the aout days on
> Operating Systems which never understood the concept of RPATH. Yes, this
> means almost any Linux distribution out there.

Erm... RPATH is _a_ solution but not _the_ solution.
It might be the right thing to do in our case here, but
that does not mean that ldconfig is obsolete. Definitly not.

But anyways, could someone who understands the build system
and its implications have a look whether we could use RPATH instead?
I'd say we might have a problem with breakage in the case of
building an rpm or a debian package.

> As a side note, e.g.
> libtoolified sources would also not call ldconfig, but print a nice
> message that it might be needed. I believe that is the est solution.

Don't mention autoshit and any related tool on this mailinglist,
you might burn your fingers ;-)

				Attila Kinali
--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ