[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: h264+aac in lavf mp4

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Mar 26 04:17:39 CEST 2006

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:17:23PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
> > it's extremely bloated and complicated.
>
> True, but the resulting stream overhead is actually very small. About
> everything you'll even come up with can be included in it, either with
> already specified semantics (good!) or private extensions.

Bloated does not have to do with stream overhead. It has to do with
the impossibility of implementing a complete, correct player aside
from quicktime.

> Alternatives:
>
> - matroska, seems to be bbd

Compared to mp4, matroska is the most amazing wonderful container
format ever designed... It has some flaws addressed by nut, but the
flaws in matroska are no excuse to use mp4!

> - nut, maybe ready in ten years, only supported by open source tools

A few months. Aside from the official announcement nut is frozen, and
the tools for using it are working well.

> - avi, actually I don't even want to start, it's so obsolete that even
> microsoft abandoned it ages ago, there are no kludges in avi, it IS one
> big kludge, and still the overhead is way bigger than mp4, even though
> it doesn't even support PTS.

Even avi is much less of an abomination than mp4. It's easy for you to
spout off bullshit when you don't understand the inner workings of
containers. If you did you would know that nothing (except ogg) is
worse than mp4 (and even ogg is bad in a very different way).

Rich