[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: h264+aac in lavf mp4

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Mar 25 12:36:51 CET 2006

Hi

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:17:23PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 11:55 +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
> > >BTW Did you check h264 + aac in mp4 using mencoder?
> > it works if you use -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:raw ...,
>
> ... otherwise the adts encapsulated stream is stored instead of the raw
> aac ...
>
> Should have known that :-(
>
> > and I guess  using -oac lavc too.
>
> Will try.

dont forget aglobal=1

[...]
> > it's extremely bloated and complicated.
>
> True, but the resulting stream overhead is actually very small. About
> everything you'll even come up with can be included in it, either with
> already specified semantics (good!) or private extensions.
>
> Alternatives:
>
> - matroska, seems to be bbd
> - nut, maybe ready in ten years, only supported by open source tools
> - mpeg ps, I don't know any player other than maybe mplayer that can
> play h264 in mpeg ps
> - mpeg ts, more or less acceptable but indeed much much overhead
> - avi, actually I don't even want to start, it's so obsolete that even
> microsoft abandoned it ages ago,

MS abadoned it in favor of patented asf/wmv/wma and even though i dont know
i would guess that patent was the reason instead of any technical thing why
they switched to asf
and if you agree with the MS decission that asf is better then avi, why not
try h264+aac in asf
and iam not sure but i think asf doesnt have pts either, though i could be
wrong iam too lazy to RTFS now ...

> there are no kludges in avi, it IS one
> big kludge, and still the overhead is way bigger than mp4, even though
> it doesn't even support PTS.

MPEG-PS and MPEG-TS dont require PTS per frame either, just 1 PTS every 0.5
sec or so, that in practice is even worse then avi as it doesnt help while
it increases complexity

> MP4's can encapsulate h264 and aac natively without kludges, it has
> small overhead and seeks quick (much quicker and more accurate than ts).

.mp4 is a mess, just look at the NAL reformating issue, and .mp4 is the most
bloated format ever designed

really there is no perfect container, mkv or nut might be ok everything else
has issues

[...]

--
Michael