[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio_out.c question

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Mar 23 19:05:15 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:26:12 -0500 (EST)
Mitch Golden <mgolden at mitchgolden.com> wrote:

> I am not an unsophisticated user

Then why are you top-posting?

> I am still not getting what the problem is with preferring alsa  in
> the case of an audio-only stream.

Possibly because using one ao method in one case, and a different ao
method in another case, would be absolutely schitzoprehnic, and cause
all types of confusion and other issues.

Possibly because you didn't include a patch.

> *) A question: Windows can have multiple applications on these self
> same  single-voice soundcards.  How does it do it without something
> like alsa  mixing the streams?

It does use something "like alsa" to mix the streams transparently.
It only does so on Windows 2000/XP, IIRC, and the rest have the
single-stream limit (with wave-out, not dsound).