[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio_out.c question

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Mar 23 11:33:40 CET 2006

Hi,
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:37:22AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > ALSA's dmix is much more broken. It does resampling and mixing behind
> > the user's back,
>
> We don't have much choice in this -- the wailing and gnashing of teeth
> would be much louder if we didn't use dmix by default on most sound
> cards.

Well, with MPlayer cvs I think it at least doesn't do the resampling
"behind the user's back" anymore...
Also from our perspective I really think enabling dmix by default made
the "wailing and gnashing of teeth" a lot louder.
Not to mention it made it much harder to just say "get a non-broken
soundcard" *g*

> > forking behind the calling program's back which
> > introducing all sorts of bugs, and breaks A/V sync.
>
> Bug number?

Hmmm... I know somebody had problems with it. Oded, was that you??

> > Yes. ALSA will use dmix, etc. crap. The OSS emulation layer is immune
> > to all these userspace hacks and thus is not buggy.
>
> Except when using aoss.  And you know that we're planning to redirect
> OSS emulation devices back to userspace so that we can inflict the same
> features on them?  ;-)

If this is non-optional, better put on a bullet proof vest real fast :-P
(and equip your users with flame-safe clothing if they come here with
their problems *g*).
But seriously, having these two behave differently has often been
helpful in locating the bug (e.g. if it's the soundcard driver or dmix
or...).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger