[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio_out.c question

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 09:02:57 CET 2006

2006/3/22, Mitch Golden <mgolden at mitchgolden.com>:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>
> > 2006/3/22, Mitch Golden <mgolden at mitchgolden.com>:
> >> I am new to this list but I have a question about the code in
> >> libao2/audio_out.c.  I am running on Linux Fedora Core 4, using KDE.
> > [...]
> >> My suggested ordering has artsd first, then alsa, then oss.  Of course
> >> this is true on my Linux system, and I don't know what should be done with
> >> some of the others.
> >>
> >> Forgive me if this is something that's been discussed before.  If people
> >> agree with me, I can make a patch.
> >
> > We may forgive your sins if you read the whole manual three times and
> > repeat "RTFM" 20 times.
> > ;)
> >
> > Try to find out what `mplayer -ao arts,esd,oss,alsa,` does.(it's the
> > same as putting "ao=arts,esd,oss,alsa,"
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear.  I saw the code for the opening of the command line
> driver in audio_out.c, but was wondering why the default order of opening
> was to use "native" first then "wrapper".
>
> BTW, the -ao option is not discussed in the section of the manual under
> "command line".  (It is in other places.) Again, I'll be happy to add it
> if that's what people want.

man mplayer
/-ao

(man is short of manual ;)

> > Wrappers usage is not recommended because they make synchronization
> > harder. The slowdown they cause is secondary issue.
>
> I am using mplayer for the playing of audio files (since FC4 comes with
> MP3 configured to play under noatun, which cannot in fact open mp3 files -
> at least as it's supplied by default).  In this case, synchronization is
> not an issue.  Might it not be best to change the default behavior if what
> is being played is an audio only file to use the wrapped drivers first?

You can change the priority of the devices by yourself. MPlayer is
Movie Player and it will always prefer by default the most stable and
faster options for playing movies.

There will be change of the default audio order soon, and it will be
placing alsa before oss, as long as there are no troubles with alsa.
Now we have alsa developer to maintain it so i doubt there will be any
big issues.

> Also, the messaging from the crash on unpause could be improved to make it
> clear what really happened and what should be done to fix it.

Send a patch.

It shouldn't crash as a start. Well this is topic from an old flame
war, so i won't ignite it again.